Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Chicken Curry - First Hand Experience



My wife had been challenging me to cook something more substantial than mashed potato and boiled eggs. So I thought I should finally give it a go. And so I did.

Walked to the local market and got a whole baby chicken. I asked the shopkeeper to skin it and cut it to medium pieces. Cost £2.00. Now I had the chicken, I had to make out what to do next. This was the first time that I was cooking chicken, so it was very important I don't miss out on anything.

So in order to avoid missing any of the ingredients I got them out first. Here is what I got:

1. 2 Onions cut to shreds.
2. Garlic and Ginger paste
3. MDH Chicken Masala
4. Cinnamon and clove
5. Chilly powder and turmeric.
6. 1 tomato
7. 6 tea spoons of Mustard Oil

Now that was pretty much covered. I put mustard oil on the pan and heated it. I then cooked the onion until it turned brown. I put the tomato, garlic and ginger paste onto it. The I added some turmeric and kept on cooking it. In the mean time I had washed the chicken and added it to the gravy. It was all looking perfect. The only mistake that I did was I added the cinnamon and clove mixture a bit late. But it was looking great. It even smelt nice. I allowed it to cook for a while.

My wife was back home and she was happy to see that the dinner was ready. Although I am not sure how much confident she was about how it was going to taste. At last I added an adequate amount of salt, some water and sprinkled the chicken masala on top. Allowed it to cook for a few more minutes and Chicken curry was ready. Fine Indian cuisine at its best.

Dinner is so cheap when we prepare it at home. The entire curry cost me no more than £4 in all, compared to any Indian restaurant which would easily charge in the vicinity of £15, for the same food. We sat down for dinner and Deepika tasted it and confirmed that it was really tasty. Well what can I say... Cook Na Kaho.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search