Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Snowfall In London




Ever since I was a kid, I have always liked to play in the snow or even just watch it falling down. Its always special to see it snowing. Last couple of days have been truely a spectacle from Mother Nature. I have experienced a few snow showers here and there, but this one is exceptional. Its by far the most snow that I have seen in my entire life.


Snowfall in London is rare, thanks to the pollution caused by myriads of motor vehicles in the streets. Last year it also snowed but it could only make a layer few centimeters thick. But last night was exceptional. It kept snowing all through the night. I woke up to the snow. I looked out of the window and everything was white, a brilliant white, pristine and pure. An eight inch snow blanket was covering everything that I could lay my eyes upon. That was enough of an invitation to me to put on my boots and gloves and run out.It is such a good feeling to see your own footsteps. You look back and think, 'those are mine'. Gives you a feeling that you are the first to walk on that surface. Its fantastic.

Although it looks great in movies when you hit another one with snow balls, in real life its not that enthralling. I could see 3 kids, rolling up huge balls of snow. No guesses for what they were going to do with them. It was great. People were coming out of their houses and talking to each other. There was no public transport operating today. Could you find a better reason to avoid work !!!

Everyone seemed to enjoy this seasonal change. But the truth is, London experienced this much snow after 18 years. So do we have to wait for another 18 years to see such camaraderie in the streets again ??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search